Friday, May 9, 2008

Local Bar Review

There is a watering hole that is, at most, 25 steps from my back door. This feature alone would most likely catapult it to the pinnacle of my all time favorite hang outs. There's a lot to be said for being able to walk back to your house to hit the head during times of crisis. However, the bar is actually pretty cool as well.

I bought my house in November of 2006. Until July of 2007, I did not realize that the bar had a name. There is a sign that is mounted vertically above the door, but it is the same color as the fabulous form stone exterior and is quite easy to mistake for a lack of proper maintenance. One time, after a few Chartreuse (what is the plural of Chartreuse? Chartreuse's?), I made the blunder of asking if the bar had a name. I was taken outside and shown the sign. I was also reminded that I had walked under the sign about 75 times in the past year and that I should really pay more attention to what is going on around me.

So what is so special about Idle Hour? What draws me in time after time? Other than the proximity to my own toilet, of course. I've read on other blogs that are about blogs that what makes a good blog is lists; so here is my list:
  1. The bar does not have a working television. They have one in the corner, but it is out of commission. It's only about 13 inches. So, even if it did work it would not be of too much use.
  2. The bar does not feel pressured into offering its patrons both male and female restrooms. The restroom is shared by all. As such, the line for its access can get out of hand. The location of my own restroom is pivotal to a good night at Idle Hour.
  3. The bar is a self proclaimed Chartreuse bar. They have bottles of the stuff lining the bar area. They probably have more Chartreuse in there than all of the other liquors combined.
  4. The bar plays jazz/hip-hop fusion at almost deafening volumes at all hours of the day. My girlfriend and I frequently have to scream at each other to be heard over the Miles Davis v. Q-Tip. I don't know where they find some of the stuff they play, but it's pretty cool.
  5. There is no cash register/cash drawer. There is no credit card machine. There is no fancy computer to keep track of tabs. These have been replace by the almost as effective combo of bartender's pocket, 1970's CC imprint taker (if they feel like breaking it out), and sheet of paper that has tally marks to keep track of how many drinks he thinks you've had.
  6. The tally system is employed with great inconsistency.
  7. There is a great pizza place across the street (also 25 steps from my back door) which will deliver you a pizza that you can eat at the bar.
  8. There is apparently no attention paid to health code regulations. While you're eating your pizza brought from outside and using the unisex restroom, you can also play with your dog. Dog's are allowed. Or perhaps no one really makes the effort to keep them out. They have been known to wander behind the bar. One night, a Golden Retriever that belonged to this guy who had been cornered by this Cougar (who was flying solo and hitting the Cosmos hard) had made his way behind the bar. He kind of just hung out back there and was feed ice by the onlookers. This was noticed by the bartender but no action was taken. I think he was enjoying watching the Cougar take down her prey too much.
  9. The bar closes at 2am. The bar stops serving drinks at 4am.
  10. The bar is decorated with local art. This is not done in an artsy/highbrow way. This art sucks.

No comments: